Land Planning

Big Horn County

What is a flood?

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), “A flood is a general and temporary condition where two or more acres of normally dry land area or two or more properties (at least one of which is your property) from overflow of inland or tidal waters, from unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source, or from mudflow.”

Is flooding a problem in Big Horn County?

Several areas of Big Horn County are at risk of flooding, based upon historic events. To identify our community’s flood risk, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) conducted a Flood Insurance Study. The data compiled during that study was used to create Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMS), which provide an official depiction of flood hazards for properties within each community. In rural Big Horn County, there are an estimated 1,400 parcels intersected by flood zones, among which several hundred structures are likely to be present.

How do I find out if my property lies within a flood hazard area?

To see if your property lies within a flood hazard area, you can view digital copies of the FIRMs online. Also, the Land Planning Office has a hardcopy set of the FIRM panels, as well as a digital version. If you have questions about areas designated as flood hazard areas in unincorporated Big Horn County, you may contact the County Planner at 307-568-2424.

What should I do if my property is in a flood hazard area and I want to make improvements?

If your property is located within a mapped flood hazard area and you are planning to make changes (such as excavation or construction), you will need to complete a Floodplain Development Permit Application and submit it to the Land Planning Department.

Am I eligible for flood insurance?

Unincorporated Big Horn County participates in the NFIP, a program that provides means for property owners to financially protect themselves from flood risks. If you are a homeowner, renter, or business owner in unincorporated Big Horn County, flood insurance coverage options from the NFIP are available to you whether your property lies within a flood hazard area or not.

Several towns within Big Horn County also participate in the NFIP: Basin, Greybull, Lovell and Manderson. However, the towns of Burlington, Byron, Cowley, Deaver and Frannie do not participate in the NFIP.