Getting a marriage license in Wyoming
Licenses are obtained in Wyoming’s county clerk’s offices and can be used immediately after issued. Marriage licenses are valid (in the state of Wyoming) for a period of one year from the date of issue. No blood test is required. The clerk’s office issues licenses Monday-Friday 8:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. The office is closed on recognized holidays.
Plan ahead: The process to issue a license can take up to thirty minutes to gather information and type the forms needed to complete the process.
If you wish to have the judge perform your ceremony: Call 307.568.2367 to schedule a appointment.
Legal age to marry:
- 18 year of age or older
- 16 or17, signed parental consent is required
- 15 or younger, a judge’s court order is required
Photo Identification: Driver’s license, Military ID, Passport, etc.
Before you apply for the license, both parties need to know and provide the following information:
- Both parties must be present in the clerk's office to sign the application. In addition a competent witness must be present to sign the application stating that to their knowledge there is no legal impediment to the parties entering into the contract of marriage.
- Both parties’ first, middle and last names
- Age of both parties
- Current residential address
- Date of birth
- Place of birth for both parties
- Father’s first, middle, and last name and state or country of his birth
- Mother’s first, middle and maiden name and state or country of her birth
- Number of prior marriages
- How last marriage ended and date. If a previous marriage ended in death or divorce; the date of that death or divorce must be known.
- Education level
- Both parties’ social security number. If either party does not have one, a written affidavit or statement shall become permanent record, indicating so. We ask that each person provide identification which shows a social security number if the applicants have one, if not, then identification that shows that they are who they say they are. This is to alleviate wrong information on a legal document, which may cause problems later on.
- Marriage license $30.00 (cash or check)
- Certified copy* $5.00
- A certified copy of your marriage license may be required for items of legal importance for you and/or your family.
- If you wish to have the judge perform your ceremony - Please call 307.568.2367 to schedule a appointment.
- Wyoming does not have a waiting period or require blood tests.
- The certificate, signed by the officiate, must be turned in within ten days
- The certificate expires one year from date of issued if not used
For detailed information, please read Wyoming Statutes 20-1-101 through 20-1-113,
which is available on the web at: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/statutes.aspx?file=titles/Title20/Title20.htm
The Vital Records Division (307-777-7591) at the State of Wyoming maintains copies of all Wyoming marriages from May 1941 to the present.