County Clerk Recorded Information
All real property records such as deeds, mortgages, releases, covenants, notary bonds and others are placed as permanent record and are open to the public.
This office also records military discharge papers upon request, which are not open to the public.
Birth certificates and death certificates are recorded at the state level by the Vital Records Division of the Wyoming Department of Health. Vital records can be contacted by calling: (307) 777-7591.
Requirements for recording a document:
- The document must be an original or certified copy.
- A copy cannot be recorded.
- Up to legal size (8 1/2” X 14”); no additional fees based on the size of the paper.
- May be double-sided; however, each side counts as a page to calculate fees.
- All documents must be acknowledged (notarized) in accordance with Wyoming law.
- While cover letters are not required, they are appreciated as they contain excellent contact information which is very helpful to the staff.
- A Wyoming Statement of Consideration disclosing the financial information of the transaction must accompany each deed submitted for recording. It’s the buyer’s responsibility to fully complete the statement which is a confidential document used by the county assessor to determine market value of all property in the county. More information on Statements of Considerations and a downloadable form is available by accessing the state of Wyoming’s Website at http://taxappeals.state.wy.us
- Documents must be clearly readable and reproducible.
- Proper fees must accompany any recording. Fees are set by Wyoming statute: http://legisweb.state.wy.us/statutes/statutes.aspx?file=titles/Title18/Title18.htm
- Any Instrument First Page: $12.00
- Each Additional Page: $3.00
- More than 5 grantor or grantees of a different surname-each additional: $1.00
- More than ten sections, 1/4, 1/4 sections, blocks or tract descriptions-each additional: $1.00
- More than 2 release of mortgages listed on document-each additional: $2.00
- Certification: $3.00 (applicable copy fees will be added)
- Copy of Public Record: $0.35
- If you have a document with multiple legal descriptions to record, contact our office for guidance on fees that will be due when recording.
- We do not give legal advice.
- We recommend seeking an attorney for document preparation. We do not advise as to what document to file or what should be included in the body of the document. We only determine whether or not it is in recordable order.
- We can provide you local title company names and phone numbers for researching purposes and can assist you in using our resources, however, we are not bonded to do extensive research
We are excited to announce the information recorded in the Big Horn County Clerk’s Office is now available online at http://www.bighorncountywy.gov . This information is being offered for a charge, per business physical address, of $200.00 annually for an unlimited number of copies. You must have a valid username and password to access the site. To make the system easier for you to access, we are allowing you to choose your own user name and password. Below is a link for the application and the agreement. If you wish to take advantage of this service, please return the completed and signed application to this office along with the appropriate fees and we can get you set up.
Validated images and index information are uploaded to this site each night through a secure, password protected Web portal, providing you with the most current information! Users can easily locate documents, view the detailed indexing information and even view and print the image. All of this from the comfort of any computer with access to the Internet. We are currently working on a project to take older records from microfilm and the old books with copied images, and have them indexed and put in a digital image format for viewing also. This is work in progress and these records will be available on IDOC as they are entered as well.
While all attempts are made to ensure the accuracy of information under our control and to correct any errors brought to our attention, no representation or guarantee can be made as to the accuracy of information presented on this site. All information should be independently verified.
The clerk's publicly available Internet Website is intended for information purposes only. The information available through this Website is not the official record and should not be relied upon for any type of legal action. While the clerk strives to keep the information current and accurate, this information on the Website is not official and the clerk will not be responsible for any inaccuracies that may be encountered. Any images copied from this publicly available Internet Website have not been certified as being true and correct copies of the instruments filed and recorded with the clerk. Certified copies of these instruments may be purchased upon request. Events may occur which prevent or delay the Website's availability. By using this service, in any form, the user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Big Horn County Clerk and anyone involved in storing, retrieving, or displaying this information for any damage of any type that may be caused by accessing this information over the Internet. By signing below, you indicate that you understand these terms.
Please click on the file below to download and print the application:
Click here for: Big Horn County Online Record Access request form application
Click here for: Access Agreement to IDOC Program